If you’re in the mood for a meaty version of a salad, you can’t go wrong with a bourbon steak salad. It’s easy to make, and most importantly, it’s delicious.
I’ve been on a carnivore diet for more than a decade. I’ve tried all kinds of meat cuts during this time, and steak remained my favorite. Recently, I had some leftover steak and decided to mix it with salad.
Here’s my recipe for a Bourbon steak salad so you can make it yourself.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Number of Servings: 4
For the steak:
- 4 to 6 oz steak
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Ground pepper
For the salad:
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 1 package of mixed greens
- 4 artichokes
- 10 pearl onions
- 4 baby carrots
- 4 radishes
- 16 baby red potatoes
- 6 baby beets
- Vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- One lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- A little olive oil
- Heat a large pan on high heat.
- Season steaks with salt, ground pepper, and oil on both sides.
- Place the steaks in the pan. Sear for 3 to 4 minutes per side. You’ll know the steak is done when it reaches 145 degrees for medium-rare .
- Turn the heat to medium and place butter, garlic, rosemary, and thyme in the pan. Baste the steaks.
- Remove the steaks from the pan and let rest for 5 minutes before cutting and adding to salads.
- Heat cast-iron pot to 350 degrees.
- Cut artichokes into quarters.
- Place artichokes into the pot and enough olive oil so the artichokes are covered.
- Fry artichokes for about 4 minutes, then move to paper towels, so they dry.
- Season artichokes with salt.
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees. Cover squash and Brussels sprouts with salt and pepper and roast for about 10 minutes, then let them cool completely.
- Lower oven temperature to 375 degrees and put beats in a pan. Cook until tender, then peel and slice the beets. Season them with salt and oil.
- Heat pearl onions in a large saute pan with butter, salt, and pepper until they are brown. Move the pan to the oven with Brussels sprouts for 8 minutes. Then let it cool.
- Add sliced zucchini, carrots, and radishes and cover with salt and lemon juice.
- Boil baby potatoes for 12 minutes with skin on. Let them cool, then season with salt and oil.
- Mix everything together in a large bowl.
- Whisk together honey, dijon, garlic, oil, salt, pepper, lemon zest, and bourbon.
- Pour the dressing over all the ingredients in the large bowl.
Here are some tips and tricks for your bourbon salad with steaks, as well as what to keep in mind while cooking:
- Let the meat rest for at least five minutes. This ensures the juices are evenly distributed.
- Take the steak out of the fridge 30 minutes to an hour before cooking. The steak should be at room temperature so the seasoning sticks better, and you end up with flavorful meat.
- You can cook the steak and many vegetables a day ahead when you’re busy. Store them in an air-tight container in the fridge and then assemble and serve once you’re ready to eat.
- You can add cheddar cheese to the salad.
- Red wine vinegar is a good substitute for lemon zest, oil, and Dijon mustard.
- You can grill the steaks instead of cooking them in a pan. Season them normally, then grill the steak for 4 minutes on each side.
- To mix the dressing ingredients, add them to a jar and shake vigorously, then drizzle over the salad.
- Calories: 353 calories
- Total Carbs: 27g
- Protein: 32g
- Fat: 12g
- Fiber: 2g
- Net Carbs: 38g
Which Steak to Use?
I recommend using sirloin steaks for salad. They give at least 20g of protein to your salad. Sirloin isn’t fatty but lean and flavorful, so it’s perfect for a salad.
You can easily pan-sear or grill it or even use a skillet. Plus, sirloin and bourbon are an excellent combination.
Pro tip: Unlike other recipes, I like to cube sirloin steak and then season it. This makes it easier to season, and it’s cooked faster.
You can also saute the sirloin cubs briefly to make sure it doesn’t turn out tough.
If you can’t get your hands on quality sirloin, New York Strip Steak or ribeye are good alternatives; just make sure to cut off the fat parts.
- What Is Flank Steak?
- What Is Ranch Steak?
- What Is the Best Cut of Steak?
- What Cut of Meat Is Tenderloin Steak?
What Does Whiskey Do to Steak?
Whiskey adds flavor and makes the steak tender.
Does Bourbon Tenderize Steak?
Yes, bourbon tenderizes steak. Alcohol, such as vodka and whiskey, made meat more tender.
Bourbon Steak Salad Recipes: Final Thoughts
Get a bag of mixed greens and a quality beef cut, and you’re ready to make a Bourbon salad. Follow the steps I’ve outlined above for the best recipe and don’t forget to drizzle the dressing on top.
Don’t forget to season the steak or marinate it overnight for the best results. You can also add some peppers and bacon if you want to spice up the salad or have some extra proteins.
And if you’re looking for the highest-quality beef cuts for your salad recipe, ButcherBox has you covered. I’ve been getting their custom subscription boxes for over a year now, and the quality of their beef is exquisite, perfectly marbled, tasty, and hormone-free.