For over a decade, I have honed my skills and perfected the art of creating mouthwatering dishes that satisfy even the most discerning palates.
Today, I am thrilled to share with you my all-time favorite crock pot chicken wings recipe – a culinary masterpiece with a delectable blend of carefully selected ingredients that will elevate your chicken wing experience to a whole new level.
Slow Cooker Chicken Wings Recipe
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- Servings: 8-12
For the Chicken Wings:
- 4 pounds of fresh chicken wings or thawed frozen chicken wings
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the Homemade Buffalo Sauce:
- 1 cup hot sauce
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon diced onion
- Celery sticks
- Carrot sticks
- Blue cheese or ranch dressing
- If using frozen wings, thaw completely before starting the recipe. Pat the fresh or frozen wings dry with paper towels.
- Mix the garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl.
- Add chicken wings to a slow cooker or crock pot and sprinkle the seasoning mixture over the wings. Toss to coat the wings evenly.
- Whisk together the Buffalo sauce ingredients - the hot sauce, melted butter, brown sugar, minced garlic, and diced onion in a separate bowl.
- Pour the Buffalo wing sauce over the chicken wings in the slow cooker, ensuring all the wings are coated.
- Cover the slow cooker and slow-cook chicken wings on low heat for 4 hours or until the wings are fully cooked and fall-off-the-bone tender. You can check the doneness using a meat thermometer; the internal temperature should reach 165°F .
- For crispy skin, transfer the cooked wings from the slow cooker to a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Preheat the oven, then broil the wings on high heat for a cook time of 3-5 minutes until the skin is crispy. Keep a close eye while cooking wings to prevent burning. Once crispy, brush the wings with additional Buffalo sauce.
- You can skip the broiling step and serve the wings directly from the slow cooker for a quicker finish.
- Serve the crock pot chicken wings hot with celery sticks, carrot sticks, and your choice of blue cheese or ranch dressing for dipping.
- You can increase the amount of brown sugar if you prefer a sweeter sauce.
- The recipe can be easily doubled or halved depending on your serving needs.
- This recipe can also be adapted for an air fryer or a toaster oven instead of a slow cooker. Adjust the cooking times and temperatures accordingly. However, wings in a slow cooker, cooked low, will be far more tender.
- You can also use your favorite BBQ sauce or dry rub instead of the Buffalo sauce for a different flavor.
- Leftover slow-cooker chicken wings can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days .
- For best results, use whole chicken wings instead of pre-cut wings. It is a little more effort to cut the whole chicken wing, but it will help the wing pieces hold together better during cooking and crisping.
- For food safety, do not cook frozen chicken wings. Thaw frozen wings in the refrigerator before use, or simply buy fresh wings.
- Lining the baking sheet or wire rack with foil makes it much easier to clean up after a quick broil in the oven.
- Calories: 250
- Total Carbs: 3g
- Protein: 20g
- Fat: 19g
- Fiber: 0g
- Net Carbs: 3g
"Chicken wings are the ultimate crowd-pleaser, offering a symphony of flavors and textures in every bite. From sweet and sticky to spicy and tangy, they embody the spirit of communal dining and bring people together in a celebration of food and flavor."
- Bobby Flay, American Chef
What to Serve With Crock Pot Chicken Wings?
Here are some dishes or sides that pair well with crock pot chicken wings:
- Coleslaw: The refreshing and tangy flavors of coleslaw help balance the heat from the Buffalo chicken wings. The crisp texture of the coleslaw also provides a nice contrast to the chicken made tender by the slow cooking.
- Corn on the Cob: Grilled or boiled corn on the cob complements the savory flavors of the chicken wings. The sweetness of the corn adds a pleasant contrast and provides a satisfying side dish.
- Baked Beans: The rich and smoky flavors of baked beans complement the bold flavors of the slow cooker wings. The beans' creamy and slightly sweet texture adds depth to the meal.
- Potato Salad: Creamy potato salad is a classic side dish that pairs well with slow-cooker chicken wings. The combination of the cool, creamy potatoes and the spicy wings creates a delightful balance of flavors and textures.
- Macaroni and Cheese: The cheesy, indulgent flavors of macaroni and cheese are a perfect comfort food side for chicken wings. The creamy pasta provides a satisfying contrast to the spicy wings.
- Grilled Vegetables: Grilling vegetables like zucchini, bell peppers, and mushrooms adds a smoky flavor that complements the slow cooker wings. Vegetables also add a healthy element to the meal.
- Garlic Bread: The buttery and garlicky flavors of garlic bread go well with the savory crock pot chicken wings. The crunchy texture of the bread provides a delightful contrast to the tender meat.
Read More: How to Make Shredded Chicken in Instant Pot
Alternate Dipping Sauces
Traditional blue cheese dressing and ranch flavor are the most popular choices when you want to add flavor to crock pot chicken wings.
However, here are some more of my favorite sauces to explore:
- Honey Mustard: The combination of tangy mustard and sweet honey creates a delightful balance of flavors that complements a savory chicken wing. It adds a touch of sweetness and a hint of tanginess to every bite.
- Teriyaki Glaze: Try dipping your wings in a teriyaki glaze for an option that is like an Asian-inspired BBQ sauce. Its savory and slightly sweet flavors, often infused with soy sauce, ginger, and garlic, create a tantalizing umami experience that pairs exceptionally well with slow-cooked chicken.
- Sriracha Mayo: If you crave a spicy kick, mix sriracha sauce with mayonnaise to create a creamy and fiery dipping sauce. The mayo's creamy texture helps mellow the sriracha's heat, making it a perfect complement to the bold flavors of Buffalo wings.
- BBQ Sauce: BBQ sauce offers a smoky, tangy, and slightly sweet profile that pairs wonderfully with crock pot wings. Choose your tastiest BBQ sauce, be it smoky, spicy, or sweet, and enjoy the delicious combination of flavors.
- Chipotle Aioli: Create a smoky and creamy wing sauce by blending chipotle peppers in adobo sauce with mayonnaise, garlic, and a squeeze of lime juice. This spicy and tangy aioli adds a flavorful punch to your wings.
- Mango Salsa: For a fruity and refreshing twist, your chicken wings can go with a side of mango salsa. The juicy and sweet mango chunks, combined with onions, jalapeños, cilantro, and lime juice, create a vibrant and tropical flavor that complements the tasty wings.
- Peanut Sauce: Indulge in a peanut sauce's rich and nutty flavors. This creamy and slightly spicy sauce, typically made with peanut butter, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and lime juice, adds a Thai-inspired twist to your chicken wings.
Also Read: Best French Dip Sandwich Recipe
Why Is Baking Soda Put on Chicken Wings?
Baking soda is put on chicken wings to help achieve a crispy texture when baking. It helps break down proteins and promote browning, resulting in crisp exterior wings. It is not needed in a crockpot recipe.
Do You Have to Rinse Baking Soda off Chicken Before Cooking?
No, you do not have to rinse the baking soda off the chicken before cooking. The baking soda is typically used as part of a dry rub or coating and is cooked along with the chicken. Rinsing may affect the intended flavor and texture.
Why Do You Soak Chicken Wings in Milk?
You soak chicken wings in milk to tenderize the meat and remove any potential gaminess. The lactic acid in the milk helps break down proteins and enhances the overall flavor and texture of the slow-cooked wings.
The Best Chicken Wings in the Crock Pot Recipe
Mastering the art of creating your favorite chicken wings is within your reach.
With this recipe, you'll be a huge hit with your guests and satisfy your cravings with cooked wings that make a perfect game-day snack.
If you're looking for high-quality organic meat for your next wing night, check out our review article on the best organic meat delivery services to bring the best ingredients straight to your door.
With these top-rated organic meat providers, you can savor the flavors of responsibly sourced, hormone-free, and ethically raised chicken, elevating your crockpot chicken wings to a culinary masterpiece.