This roasted chicken dinner is the epitome of perfection. Juicy chicken on the inside, with crispy skin on the outside, topped off with garlic, lemon, and herbs.
The roasted root vegetables add bright colors and caramelized flavors.
This recipe may seem simple, but there's no denying the delicious flavors and textures.
I make this roasted chicken recipe at least three times a month for my family, and they love it every time.
This recipe is also gluten-free, low-carb, dairy-free, grain-free, and all-around clean eating.
- The keto roast chicken recipe is a low-carb, gluten-free, dairy-free, and grain-free dish that involves stuffing a whole chicken with herbs, lemon, onion, and garlic, then roasting it over vegetables.
- The keto gravy is prepared using butter, tapioca flour, and chicken broth, served over keto roasted chicken and vegetables.
- The dish is customizable, with options to add different spices, and leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Number of Servings: 6
The Best Way to Flavor Roast Chicken
Since whole chicken can be flavorless, I like to stuff it with fresh thyme, sage, rosemary, lemon, onion, and garlic. I simply add salt and pepper and a little lemon zest for seasoning.
“I measure everything because I always think that if I've spent so much time making sure this recipe was exactly the way I want it, why would I want to throw things into a pot?”
- Ina Garten, Cookbook Author
To get the chicken skin nice and crispy, I take a pastry brush and coat the chicken with a thin layer of oil.
So, when roasting, the skin will turn a nice golden brown and get extra crispy. I skip the basting, as I want the vegetables to absorb all the delicious juices.
Making Keto Gravy
When the roasted chicken is done cooking, I put it aside to rest as I make the keto gravy.
Since the vegetables absorbed most of the drippings, you’ll want to use chicken stock to make your gravy.
You’ll need to combine butter, tapioca flour, and chicken broth over a hot pan and cook for 1-2 minutes.
For the Chicken:
- One 6-pound whole chicken
- 1 ½ lemon, cut into half
- 1 ½ onion, cut into quarters
- 1 garlic clove, cut in half
- 8-10 sprigs of herbs such as thyme, rosemary, and sage
- 1 ½ tablespoon of kosher salt
- 1 ½ tablespoon of black pepper
For the Vegetables:
- 1 ½ yellow onion, sliced
- 620g of brussels sprouts
- 590g of radishes
- 3 teaspoons of olive oil (or avocado oil)
- 3 teaspoons of salt
- 3 teaspoons of pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF and place the oven rack on the lower third shelf.
- Take out the gizzards and rinse the outside and inside with water. Once clean, use paper towels to pat the chicken completely dry. If any water is left, the skin won’t crisp. Place the chicken on a cutting board and adjust to room temperature.
- Prepare your vegetables by cutting the radish and Brussel sprouts in half and slicing the onions.
- Grab your cooking dish (could be a roasting pan, cast iron skillet, or glass baking dish) and place the vegetables inside. Ensure the layer is even, then drizzle with three teaspoons of oil, salt, and pepper.
- Take the onion, lemon, garlic, and fresh herbs and stuff them inside the chicken. Brush the outside of the chicken with a thin layer of oil and season with salt and pepper. Put the chicken on top of the vegetables inside your cooking dish.
- Roast the chicken for 60-90 minutes. The outside should be crispy and golden. You’ll know the roasting chicken is finished when it reaches 165ºF (use a meat thermometer to check the temperature). It usually takes about an hour .
- Remove the roasted chicken from the oven, tilting it so the pan juices cover the vegetables. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Place the vegetables back inside the oven and let cook for a further 20 minutes.
- To serve, carve the chicken and serve warm with roasted vegetables. Pour the keto gravy and enjoy.
- Place leftovers inside an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- This tender chicken tastes great with all root vegetables; carrots, potatoes, turnips, etc.
- You can serve this low-carb chicken with some herb butter.
- If you feel like chicken lacks flavor, try adding some spices such as smoked paprika, minced garlic, etc.
- Calories: 596
- Total Carbs: 28.9g
- Protein: 63g
- Fat: 25.1g
- Fiber: 8.3g
- Net Carbs: 20g
Can You Use Chicken Breasts Instead of a Whole Chicken?
Yes, you can use chicken breasts instead of a whole chicken. However, if you’d like to substitute whole chicken with chicken breast or chicken thigh in some keto chicken recipes, you’ll have to adjust the cooking time accordingly. Both the thigh and the breast take less time to cook than an entire chicken.
How Do You Marinate Chicken?
You marinate chicken by mixing your marinate ingredients inside a small bowl. This usually consists of garlic powder, lemon juice, soy sauce, and other ingredients.
Place the meat inside of ziplock bag and shake to coat. Refrigerate the mixture for 4 - 6 hours for best results.
Keto Roasted Chicken - Delicious Recipes Made Easily
This low-carb, gluten-free, dairy-free and grain-free roasted chicken is my go-to recipe when I want something straightforward to make.
This tender and moist chicken packs so much flavor, paired perfectly with caramelized root vegetables infused with chicken juices.
This roasted chicken recipe can be customized to your liking; garlic butter, cayenne pepper, and butter-flavored coconut oil all work great in these keto recipes.