Chimichurri sauce and grilled skirt steak is a match made in heaven; it’s fresh, zingy, and takes less than 30 minutes to complete.
It pairs well with salad, vegetables, and fries and has the power to take your next steak dinner to a whole new level.
This quick and easy recipe became a staple in my household, and after a few adjustments here and there, I believe I’ve finally nailed skirt steak with chimichurri sauce.
Plus, it’s also low carb, gluten-free, and fit for a Plato diet.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Number of Servings: 4
For the Skirt Steak
- 1.4 Pound of Skirt Steak (I prefer to get my beef at ButcherBox meat delivery service, which comes highly recommended)
- Salt and Black Pepper
For the Chimichurri Sauce
- ½ Tablespoon of Kosher Salt
- ½ Tablespoon of Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon of Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 Cup of Cilantro Leaves
- 1 Cup of Flat-Leaf Parsley
- ⅕ Cup of Red Wine Vinegar
- ½ Cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Teaspoon of Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- 5 Garlic Cloves, Minced
For the Chimichurri Sauce
- Combine all ingredients (except the olive oil) in a food processor. Pulse until parsley is finely chopped but not pureed - usually 10 - 15 seconds. Alternatively, chop the parsley by hand.
- Transfer the mixture into a small bowl. Add the olive oil, stir carefully, and pour into a container. Set aside for one hour before use - ideally overnight marinating.
- Store in the refrigerator inside an airtight container with plastic wrap and use it within 3 days.
For the Skirt Steak
- Remove the skirt steak from the fridge half an hour before cooking.
- Use a medium-hot fire for a charcoal grill, or preheat a gas grill over high heat. Use olive oil or canola oil to brush the grill.
- Pat dry with paper towels and season the skirt steak generously with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Grill the skirt steak for around 5 - 6 minutes on each side, or until the internal temperature reaches 125 degrees F for medium-rare. The temperature will rise to 130 degrees F while resting. If using a charcoal grill, cook till nicely charred.
- Place onto a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice thinly against the grain and top with chimichurri sauce.
- If you don’t have any red wine vinegar, you can use another mild vinegar such as sherry. Avoid using normal white vinegar or balsamic as it is too harsh.
- Skirt steak with chimichurri sauce doesn’t use that much salt, so be careful when adding salt.
- This chimichurri recipe can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days as it uses fresh garlic. To keep it longer, put it in the freezer and defrost to use.
- Calories: 520
- Total Carbs: 30g
- Protein: 38g
- Fat: 14.9g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Net Carbs: 30g
The Best Steak to Use for Chimichurri Sauce
Typically, you will see a chimichurri recipe paired with grilled skirt steak; however, it is generally brilliant with any steak suited for grilling. Flank steak is another popular option: flat iron and other flavorful cuts.
Skirt steak is my favorite since it has a soft marbling, a tender bite, and it’s cheaper than most tenderloin cuts.
It will pair fantastically with chimichurri if you find a good amount (like the one at ButcherBox).
“Everybody says, 'I have problems overcooking steak on the grill,' but just take it off earlier! Grilling is really common sense. It's very simple.” - Bobby Flay, Chef
While chimichurri is mainly paired with grilled steak, you can also try it with grilled chicken, fish, turkey, and prawns.
It keeps in the fridge and does well in the freezer, so you can make a big batch and use it for many skirt steak recipes.
The Best Way to Cut Skirt Steak With Chimichurri Sauce
Traditionally, chimichurri steak is served thin cut. No matter what recipe you use, you should always cut thin slices against the grain to ensure the steak is as tender as can be.
To cut the steak against the grain, place the cut in front of you to see how the fibers are running. You’ll want to cut directly through these fibers .
- How Should You Cook Shell Steak?
- Keto Pork Chops With Red Pepper Sauce
- Whole30 Keto Balsamic Mustard Pork Chops
- Braised Pork Tenderloin With Apples and Onions
How Long Do You Cook Skirt Steak?
How long you cook skirt steak depends on your particular grill. For a better guideline, follow the internal temperature.
130 degrees F for rare, 135 degrees F for medium-rare, 145 degrees F for medium, 150 degrees F for medium-rare, and 160 degrees F for well done .
Do You Cut Skirt Steak Before or After Cooking?
You cut skirt steak after cooking when it's been left to rest. This is typically 5 - 10 minutes after cooking.
Skirt Steak With Chimichurri Sauce - a Quick and Tasty Meal
Serving your steak with chimichurri sauce adds excellent flavor, unbeatable freshness, and a slight tang.
The sauce itself can be pretty bland; however, paired with a wonderfully charred steak, that’s when the magic truly happens.
This recipe takes less than 30 minutes to prepare and cook, and it is one of my family favorites when it comes to grilled recipes.