I still remember the first time I tried smoked buffalo chicken dip at a backyard barbecue. One bite was all it took for me to get hooked. I found the smoked buffalo chicken paired perfectly with the tangy buffalo sauce.
From then on, I’ve spent several years trying out different recipes. I consulted other cooks and had countless test sessions with friends and family, so I can confidently say I’ve perfected the recipe.
Here’s how to make the best buffalo chicken dip recipe that’s guaranteed to wow everyone.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Number of Servings: 6 to 8
- 2 cups shredded, smoked chicken
- 1 cup Frank’s buffalo sauce
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 oz blue cheese
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- Half a teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- Preheat the smoker to 350 degrees.
- Take out a medium mixing bowl. Shred the cheddar and mozzarella cheese, and combine with the cream cheese and sour cream. Stir until combined.
- Spread the mixture with a spoon on a bottom of a cast iron skillet.
- In a separate bowl, make the Buffalo chicken. Combine the shredded chicken, the Buffalo sauce, and pepper. Place this on top of the cream cheese mixture and sprinkle crumbled blue cheese on top.
- Place the chicken dip in the smoker, and smoke the Buffalo chicken dip for about 15 minutes. You’ll know it’s done when the Buffalo dip is bubbling and the blue cheese has melted.
- Add cilantro and minced red onion on top of the smoked Buffalo chicken dip and serve immediately.
11 Recipe Notes
Here are some tips and tricks when making smoked buffalo chicken dip:
- Add blue cheese crumbles on top of the smoked buffalo chicken dip for an extra cheesy flavor.
- I like Frank’s Buffalo sauce, but you can use your favorite sauce.
- You can make your own shredded chicken or use store-bought pulled chicken, canned chicken, or rotisserie chicken.
- Full-fat cream cheese tastes the best in the smoked buffalo chicken dip. Make sure to let it sit at room temperature for half an hour to an hour to soften. This makes it easier to combine, and it’s lump-free.
- You can use Greek yogurt instead of cream cheese if you want more protein .
- You can try a ranch seasoning packet instead of sour cream.
- Add some green onions on top of the smoked buffalo chicken dip. Green onions are a great garnish and add more color to the dip.
- Adjust the spiciness level according to your preferences. Add more buffalo wing sauce if you like an extra spicy buffalo chicken dip or less buffalo wing sauce if you don’t like it spicy.
- Use a cast iron skillet for a moist smoked buffalo chicken dip. In case you don't have a skillet, you can use a smoker-safe baking dish.
- Add water to the pan or the smoker to maintain a moist environment in the smoker.
- If your smoked buffalo chicken dip is too thick, add just a little milk, broth, or water. Add slowly, and stop once the dip reaches the consistency you want.
- Calories: 568
- Total Carbs: 20 g
- Protein: 24 g
- Fat: 43 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Net Carbs: 0
4 Tips On How to Make Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip if You Don’t Have a Smoker
There are several ways to make smoked buffalo chicken dip if you don’t have a smoker, including the oven, slow cooker, grill, and microwave.
- Bake in the oven - Bake in an uncovered baking dish for 15 to 20 minutes or until the blue cheese crumbles turn bubbly.
- Cook in the slow cooker - Cook the dip for around three hours in a slow cooker. It’s done when it’s warmed through.
- Use a grill - Cook on indirect heat on a covered grill for about 30 minutes.
- In a microwave - Warm in the microwave for about two minutes until it becomes bubbly.
Pro tip: Add a teaspoon of liquid smoke to get the traditional smoky flavor. In case you’re using a grill, add a few wet wood chips to the hot charcoal.
What to Do with Leftover Buffalo Chicken Dip?
Store leftover buffalo chicken dip in airtight containers in the fridge. You can also use the leftover buffalo chicken mixture to make:
- Chicken quesadillas, tacos, or tortilla chips
- Stuff baked potatoes with the dip
- Serve with French fries
- Spread on bread and make pizza
- Use it for a garden salad topping
Note: Classic buffalo chicken dip is served hot but tastes equally good when eaten cold. If you want to reheat it, the best method is to place it in a cast iron skillet on medium heat until warm through.
What Goes With Buffalo Chicken Dip?
Tortilla chips, nachos, baguettes, celery sticks, carrot sticks, green beans, cucumber slices, and bell strips go with buffalo chicken dip.
How Do You Make Buffalo Chicken Dip Not Greasy?
You make buffalo chicken dip not greasy by mixing the ingredients well. If your smoked buffalo chicken dip is greasy, it means the ingredients have separated during the cooking. You can put the dip back on the stove and mix for a few minutes.
Why Is My Buffalo Chicken Dip So Runny?
Your buffalo chicken dip is so runny because you didn’t use enough chicken or you used too much buffalo wing sauce or ranch dressing. Try increasing the amount of chicken and buffalo sauce the next time you make the buffalo chicken dip recipe. You can also add more shredded cheddar cheese or low-fat cream cheese.
Have You Tried the Ultimate Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip?
Make the smoked buffalo chicken dip by following the recipe I outlined above. Use chicken breasts or buy a pre-cooked chicken if you’re short on time. Experiment and try different cheeses and flavors.
However, it's crucial to emphasize the importance of using high-quality chicken to ensure a truly delicious dip. ButcherBox is a good place to start, as this meat delivery company sells a huge variety of poultry cuts, including chicken breasts.
Their birds are allowed to roam all their lives and aren’t given any antibiotics. Check out our ButcherBox experience and see what this company has to offer meat enthusiasts.