NY steak pairs wonderfully with cilantro onion dredge sauce, packed full of fresh flavor with hints of garlic, chopped cilantro, and grated onion.
New York steaks can feel rather bland on their own, so a herb board sauce is a great way to turn this into a delicious steak dinner.
This NY steak with cilantro onion dredge recipe is a family favorite, even for those who dislike cilantro.
I’ve also tried and tested this recipe many times to ensure it's low carb, gluten-free, paleo, and Whole30.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Number of Servings: 4
- 4 8-Oz New York Steak (I prefer to get my NY steaks from ButcherBox meat delivery, which comes highly recommended)
- 2 Bunches of Cilantro (remove leaves and chop)
- 4 Cloves of Garlic (finely minced or grated)
- ½ Yellow Onion (chopped using large holes on a box grater - will make about 4 tablespoons)
- 3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat your outdoor grill or indoor grill pan over high heat. Coat the grates with olive oil.
- Remove the NY steaks from the fridge 30 minutes before grilling. Pat dry with a paper towel and season the NY steaks generously with salt and pepper.
- On a large plate or cutting board, combine the onion, garlic, cilantro, and olive oil to make the cilantro onion dredge sauce. How much onion you use will determine how much olive oil you need; we want a thick marinade, not runny. Season the sauce with salt and pepper, stirring together with a fork.
- Add steaks to the grill. The cook time depends on your desired doneness and how thick your steaks are. Typically, grill steaks for 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Remove steak from grill 1 minute before finishing.
- Add fresh cilantro onion dredge marinade to steaks and return to grill. Cook for 30 seconds on each side. Remove from heat and allow the grilled NY steaks to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Related Article: How to Make Grilled Baked Potatoes
The onion should be grated with the large holes on a box grater or chopped; we want it to be chunky. Cooking your grilled steak depends on your desired doneness .
Here are the guidelines for internal temperature:
- Rare - 125ºF
- Medium Rare - 135ºF
- Medium - 145ºF
- Medium Well - 150º
- Well Done - 160ºF
To store the sauce, place it inside an airtight small bowl or container and refrigerate it for up to 3 days.
Since the quick dredge contains fresh garlic, you will have to freeze the sauce to keep it longer.
- Calories: 430
- Total Carbs: 3.2g
- Protein: 51g
- Fat: 22g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Net Carbs: 3g
Things To Look For When Buying New York Steaks
The NY steak is a favorite cut of mine. They’re pretty common and can be found in most grocery stores or butchers.
That being said, there are a few things you should look out for to ensure you’re getting a good quality steak.
- The thickness of the steak should be even as well as the width to promote an even cook.
- Avoid curved or wavy steak cuts that taper to the narrow end as they can be tougher.
- The meat should be bright red unless aged.
- The NY steak should have some marbling, with a fat cap trimmed less than ¼.
- If the cut has any visible connective tissue, avoid it.
- The NY steak will have the prime, choice, or select grade options; choose depending on your budget.
It can be difficult to pick up a good cut when shopping for steaks online since you can’t see what you’re buying.
That’s why I suggest shopping with ButcherBox, as they always send quality cuts.
- Calories in a New York Strip Steak
- Easy Keto-Friendly Filet Mignon Recipe
- Savory Sweet Paleo Pecan Candied Bacon Recipe
- Grilled Steak Kabobs With Veggies Recipe
The Best Way to Cut New York Steak
When you buy cuts from the rib or lion, such as New York strip and sirloin steaks, you will find that the steak is already quite tender.
Those muscles are used much less than cuts from the round and chuck.
Due to this, it doesn’t really matter how you cut strip steak since it will be quite tender no matter what.
However, if your steak has visible grain, you will need to cut it against the direction of the grain the ensure it isn’t chewy .
What Goes Well With New York Steak?
Asparagus grilled over medium-high heat or boiled potatoes with cheese go well with New York steak. A side of veggies or salad also goes well.
Is New York Strip Steak Tender?
New York strip steak is relatively tender with a bit of bite. It is easy to cook, trim, and eat.
Get the Perfect NY Steak With Cilantro Onion Dredge...
This steak and onion dredge recipe is perfect for people who fancy a nice steak dinner but don’t have the time or budget that comes along with it.
The fresh sauce uses simple ingredients such as garlic and cilantro to transform an initially bland steak into something packed full of wonderful flavor.
This recipe is low carb, gluten-free, paleo, and Whole30, making it a wonderful meal for many dietary types.