There's no shortage of options on the market when it comes to grilling. I have tried grilling with both expensive and less expensive grills, and I have to say that there is a difference in quality and the results I got.
Let me tell you a little about my experience so you can decide whether you should splurge on an expensive grill or stick to more affordable options.
Summary of the Key Findings
- The higher cost of premium grills could mean getting better quality and performance.
- When you are willing to spend more money, you can get a grill with multiple burners. This means that you can control the heat in different areas of the grill.
- Purchasing a high-end grill that will last for many years is a wise investment for your kitchen remodeling project. This will help you avoid going through the entire process again in a few years.
What is Considered a Luxury Grill?
Any grill that has multiple burners, a side burner, a searing station, a rotisserie, and other features that make grilling more convenient is considered a luxury grill.
Luxury grills also come in larger sizes so that you can accommodate large portions o meat.
5 Things to Look for in a Luxury Grill
When looking for a high-end grill, there are some basic features that you should consider:
1. Ceramic Briquettes
There are different ways that heat can be dispersed from a grill. Some grills use low-end methods, like heat shields. These pieces of metal go over the burners and help spread the heat evenly. Unfortunately, these shields often rust and wear out quickly.
Based on my experience when grilling, ceramic briquettes work better than other materials. They tend to store and evenly spread out the heat, making grilling a more effortless experience.
2. Temperature Controls and Lighting
Grill control surfaces and lighting have improved a lot. The old, ugly knobs and single, gloomy light are gone for high-end grill owners. Modern grills have innovative and attractive controls that are great for cooking.
3. Heating and Cooking Options
Luxury grills have innovative ways to cook food including indirect cooking on an unlit burner with the burners from the side going. This method is great for simmering meat.
4. Built-in Rotisserie System
You might not need a rotisserie, but you will be happy you have one. Many luxury grills come with a complete rotisserie system, including both a motor to turn the meat and indirect burners to cook it just perfectly.
If you are a fan of barbecues, you will want to try smoking. When I tried it, I found it easy to do with a luxury gas grill that has a built-in smoker. That saved me a lot of money over buying a standalone smoker.
5. Side Burners
Side burners can give you extra cooking space for vegetables while you grill the main dish. I tried high-end gas grills with ultra-high temperature infrared side burners, giving my food a perfect finishing sear.
"Bigger gas grills can have as many as six burners, while the smaller ones can have as few as two. I have a family of six, and I prefer a four-burner gas grill — it has plenty of surfaces to cook food for all of them."
- Shannon Snell
6 Benefits of High-End Grills
1. Better Temperature Control
One of the main benefits of high-end gas grills is that they offer better temperature control. This means that you can cook your food at the exact temperature you want, making it easier to get the perfect results.
2. Evenly-Cooked meat
Another benefit of expensive BBQ grills is that they provide more evenly-cooked heat, making it less likely to be overcooked or burned.
3. More Cooking Options
High-end grills also offer more cooking options. This includes things like indirect cooking and built-in rotisseries. These options make it easier to cook various foods, such as veggies or cheese, giving more versatility to your menu.
4. Better Materials
As mentioned before, high-end grills are usually made with better materials. I found thicker gauge stainless steel in high-end grills, durable details (hinges, wheels, legs), and less plastic on these grills. This created a rust-proof surface, making it easier to clean after use.
5. Better Looks
High-end grills also tend to have a more stylish look. If you care about the aesthetics as I do, luxury grills are easy on the eyes and can add to the overall look of your outdoor kitchen or patio.
6. Better Value
Overall, high-end gas grills offer a better value for your money than inexpensive grills. They last longer and provide more features than their cheaper counterparts.
2 Shortfalls of Low-End Grills
Here’s why cheaper grill options don’t pay off in the long run:
1. Spare Parts
Most of the time, the only parts available for cheap gas grills are burners, heat shields, and cooking grates. Unless you find used spare parts, finding new valves, manifolds, or other body parts can be difficult to impossible to find.
2. Short Lifespan
Buying cheap grills means that you are more likely to have to replace them in a few years because better materials and construction will last longer. That can save you the cost of installing drop-in grills and the cost of a new countertop. Whenever I used a cheap grill, the first part that went south was usually the countertop.
What Makes A Grill High Quality?
What makes a high-quality grill is that it's built with attention to detail, the use of suitable materials, and proper assembly.
High-end grills available on the market include:
- Charcoal Grills
- Gas Grill or Propane Grills
- Electric Grills
The best grill for you will depend on your needs and budget.
3 Features of High-Quality Charcoal Grills
- They have good air circulation: The bottom of a charcoal grill always has vents that allow air to flow in and up through the charcoal.
- They have a temperature gauge: Quality charcoal grills will have a built-in temperature gauge so you can see how hot it is inside the grill.
- They have an ash catcher: This is a tray that catches the ashes as they fall from the charcoal.
Also Read: Best Portable Charcoal Grills
3 Features of High-Quality Gas Grill or Propane Grills
- They have good heat control: Most gas grills will have controls that allow you to regulate the amount of heat that is being produced while cooking meat.
- They have a heavy-duty construction: The body of a propane grill is made from premium grade stainless steel that won't warp or rust. The grates are also made from heavy-duty stainless steel or cast iron.
- They have a temperature gauge: A good gas grill will have a built-in temperature gauge or a built-in thermometer so you can see how hot it is inside the grill. Gas grills use lower temperatures and create less smoke, making them a safer option .
- They have a side burner: A side burner is a burner that is located on the side of the grill. It can be used to cook food that needs to be kept warm or to cook side dishes.
3 Features of High-Quality Electric Grills
- They have good heat control: A high-quality electric grill will have controls that allow you to regulate the amount of heat.
- They have a heavy-duty construction: The body of the grill is made from high-grade steel that won't warp or rust, therefore offering a more durable construction.
- They have a timer: A timer is a feature that allows you to set the amount of time that the grill will be on, therefore enhancing quality control.
Do More Expensive Grills Last Longer?
Yes, expensive grills will last longer than a lower-quality grill. This is because higher quality grills are made with better materials and construction.
How Much Should I Pay for a New Gas Grill?
How much you should pay for a new gas grill depends on your budget and needs. On average, a quality gas grill will cost around $300 but you can expect to pay a lot more depending on its additional features.
How Much Do Grills Cost?
Charcoal grills usually cost between $100 and $300 and they are the most affordable. Natural gas grills are quite expensive, ranging between $200 and $1 500. Electric grills fall somewhere in between these two extremes.
Are Expensive Grills Worth It?
Expensive grills are a good investment if you are looking for a grill that will last for many years and has features that make it easy to use.
These grills tend to be made with high-quality materials and construction, offering incredible durability and more cooking surface. They also have convenient features that make them easier to use, such as temperature gauges and timers.
However, if you have a problem affording a high-end gas grill, check out this review for the best gas grill under 500$. It has the best gas grill options that will still offer you many years of use.