I’ve been on a carnivore diet for over a decade. I’ve eaten my fair share of steaks during this time, but New York Strip Steak remains a favorite.
Considering how often I eat it, I wanted to check how healthy this cut of meat is. I talked with a nutritionist friend and checked the online data to find out how many calories New York Strip Steak has.
- NY Strip Steak is a lean cut of beef that’s low in calories.
- New York steak is nutrient-rich and has a high amount number of proteins, which helps build muscles.
- NY steak has several health benefits.
New York Strip Steak Calories
According to the USDA, one grass-fed, lean New York Steak weighing 214g has 250 calories .
Other New York Strip Steak nutrition facts include:
- Water: 157g
- Protein: 49.4g
- Total fats: 5.76g
- Calcium: 19.3mg
- Magnesium: 49.2mg
- Potassium: 732mg
- Phosphorus: 454mg
- Cholesterol: 118mg
Out of all these calories, about 65% are from protein, and 35% are from fat.
New York Steak doesn’t have any carbohydrates, no fiber, sugars, and very little saturated fat.
“Crowned the king of all steaks, our New York Strip Steaks are cut from the center of the loin. This savory, juicy steak is well-marbled & trimmed to perfection. Steak connoisseurs value its rich flavor and compare it favorably to their preferred steakhouse.”
- New York Steak, New York-based Steak & Seafood Company
According to the nutrition facts, NY Strip Steak is a healthy cut of meat. However, it could be too much for people who want to lower their red meat intake.
In this case, you should opt for a smaller serving size. For example, 100g of strip steak has 123 calories, 26g of protein, and 3g of fat.
NY Strip Steak is also a good choice if you want to limit your calorie intake. 3oz of New York Strip Steak has about 264 calories, so even if you have a healthy side dish, you can stay below 550 to 600 calories per meal .
To compare it with other meat, New York steak has the same number of calories as a 3oz serving size of chicken breast.
Overall, general nutrition advice is not to avoid New York Strip Steak when you want to avoid calories.
New York Strip Steak Vitamins and Minerals
New York Strip Steak is moderately rich in vitamins and minerals, especially selenium. Selenium can keep the body safe from cell damage and improve cardiovascular health.
According to the Harvard School of Public Health, adults need 55mg of selenium daily . One steak has 45.2mg of selenium, which is close to the recommended daily intake.
Other minerals and vitamins nutrition facts are:
- Niacin: 14.3mg
- Vitamin B6: 0.5mg
- Vitamin B12: 1.4mcg
- Zinc: 4.4mg
New York Strip Steak Benefits
New York Strip Steak is a good choice for people who want to have a healthy daily diet. Its nutrition facts say it’s low calorie meats, but this food contributes to other health benefits, such as:
- It’s lean — It has less than 6g of fat and less than 3g of saturated fat per serving size. Recommended daily intake of saturated fat is 13g, so this steak keeps you vell under the limit. Plus, the steak tastes tender and isn’t tough to chew because of the low-fat content.
- High protein content — One steak has 49.4g of protein, similar to a portion of chicken breasts. Protein is crucial for maintaining and building muscle, so this is important. Protein also gives you energy throughout the day.
- No carbs — The carb content of New York Strip Steak is 0 g, so it fits perfectly into a healthy daily diet. This also makes it an excellent nutrient if you’re watching your blood sugar or have insulin intolerance.
- Nutrient-rich — This food contributes to the number of nutrients in your daily diet. It’s rich in vitamins, minerals, and even Vitamin A, zinc, and iron, which many people lack.
- Gives you an energy boost — One study found that steak helps you have longer workouts, improve focus, and achieve a healthy weight .
- New York Strip vs Ribeye
- How Many Calories Are in a Bratwurst?
- How Many Calories Are in a Chicken Strip?
- How Many Calories Are in a Piece of Bacon?
Is NY Strip Steak Healthy?
Yes, NY Strip Steak is healthy. This food is a great choice for people who make sure to have the correct amount of nutrients and want to have a balanced diet.
How Many Calories Are in a 12 Oz Cooked New York Strip Steak?
There are 1220 calories in 12 oz cooked New York Strip Steak. Of these, 53g of total carbs and 42 net carbs, 11g of fiber, and some iron .
What’s the Healthiest Cut of Steak?
Sirloin is the healthiest cut of steak. It’s lean and has a low amount of saturated fats compared to other beef cuts.
Calories in NY Steak: Final Thoughts
According to general nutrition advice, NY steak is low in calories and fat and high in proteins. Overall, this is one of the best beef cuts you can have.
It has Vitamin B6 and Vitamin B12 and no fiber or sugar.
Even better, it tastes delicious. Experiment with different recipes, and you’ll end up with a delicious cut of beef every time.
If you want our recommendation on grass-fed, grass-finished, sustainably sourced meat, check out our ButcherBox, a meat delivery company offering premium cuts along with free shipping and customized subscription boxes.