As a popular protein source around the world, ground chicken is a jack of all trades in my kitchen.
It's a perfect condiment from making the best chicken burgers to the delicious creamy chicken lasagna or chicken meatballs.
Having consumed my fair share of it, I interviewed a few nutritionists to find out the exact nutrition facts of ground chicken, including how much protein and saturated fat it contains.
In this article, I will share all the nutritional information on ground chicken, including its health benefits.
- Lean ground chicken has 19g of proteins and 13.6g fat per 100g serving.
- Peeling skin before grounding the chicken reduces fat contents.
- Ground chicken is a healthy substitute for red ground meat and is beneficial for treating osteoporosis and Alzheimer's.
- We recommend ButcherBox meat delivery service for their wide variety of premium lean meat.
Protein In Ground Chicken
Regardless of the different chicken parts you use to make ground chicken, you'll reap plenty of required protein daily values.
A 4-ounce ground chicken breast serving has slightly more than 25 grams of protein. If you prefer thigh ground meat, 4 ounces of the skinless thigh has 28 grams of protein. As for the extra lean ground chicken, it has 19g of protein per 100g serving.
If you’re taking 2,000 calories per day, a 3-ounce piece of ground chicken delivers 17 to 70% of your protein intake for the day, depending on the cut you choose.
The general nutrition advice is that the daily protein amounts of an average adult should be between 10-35% of the calories consumed .
Based on the daily values (DV) that give you how much a nutrient contributes to your calorie diet count, protein has 4oz per gram. Therefore, a 2,000-calorie diet translates to 50 to 175 grams of protein.
Your precise requirements may vary based on your level of exercise and the amount of calories you need every day to manage your body weight.
Fats In Ground Chicken
A serving size of 100g of ground chicken contains 13.6g of fat, offering a substantial amount of your daily value of fats.
Contrary to some expectations, ground chicken has a higher fat content than other poultry products, but it's also rich in healthy polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fatty acids.
In fact, it possesses more than double the monounsaturated acids found in other white meat products.
Despite its higher total fat content, ground chicken has a lower cholesterol level, with the same 100g serving size containing 88g of cholesterol. This makes it a healthy choice for those monitoring their cholesterol intake.
For those tracking net carbs per serving, ground chicken is an excellent choice due to its low carbohydrate content.
If you're aiming to minimize fat consumption, removing the skin before preparing ground chicken can help. But remember, dieticians often highlight that a majority of the fat in chicken skin is beneficial unsaturated fat, known for its role in lowering blood pressure .
Thus, ground chicken offers a balance of nutritional benefits, making it a versatile choice for a variety of diets.
Also Read: What Meat Has a Low Cholesterol Level?
Other Nutritional Facts
Beyond the rich protein and less fat content, ground chicken also has:
- Zinc: Zinc present in ground chicken is required for better human growth and health. Zinc is present in our bodies, but we get it from zinc-rich food like ground chicken because the body does not keep extra zinc. This mineral helps in wound healing and blood clotting, and it is also essential for healthy eyesight .
- Vitamin B12: Vitamin B12 is necessary for proper body functioning and the development of several organs, including the brain, blood cells, and body nerves. If you're suffering from Vitamin B12 deficiency, you might want to start eating ground chicken and reap its mineral benefits. Chicken is also rich in Vitamin E.
- Copper: Copper mineral in ground chicken is necessary for making red blood cells, keeping your nerve cells healthy, and supporting your immune system. Additionally, copper has been found to create collagen, a protein that builds muscles and body tissues .
- Choline: This nutrient is beneficial for liver disease, bodybuilding, and Alzheimer's disease. If you didn't already know, Choline is also found in baby formula, and it's recommended to pregnant women to boost their health and their baby's .
Ground chicken is an excellent substitute for red rib meat. Despite having 0 g of dietary fiber and vitamin c, ground meat, has several health benefits, including:
1. Stronger Bones And Muscles
The protein in lean ground chicken is rich in amino acids which is great for generating muscle tissues as we grow older.
Consuming large amounts of protein contents has also been proven to help preserve the mineral density of different bones in the human body . Consuming cooked chicken can help build stronger, healthier muscles and bones, lowering the chance of falling and treating illnesses like osteoporosis.
2. Healthy Weight Management
Protein-rich meals like ground chicken can make one feel fuller while eating less, which helps particularly with maintaining and reducing body weight. Weight loss reduces risk factors such as excessive triglyceride levels and blood pressure.
Ground chicken, a high-protein meal, can also help with balancing weight and lower the risk of heart disease.
3. Enhances Your Mood
Ground chicken has an amino acid called Tryptophan, which is related to increased serotonin - the "feel good" hormone in our brains.
Studies suggest that high tryptophan foods like ground chicken may enhance serotonin levels and create a better mood .
Of course, this doesn't mean that you'll feel instantaneously happy immediately after gobbling up a whole chicken burger for lunch.
“Tryptophan is a protein building block necessary for the proper functioning of the human body.”
- David Cutler, MD
Does Ground Chicken Have Protein?
Yes, ground chicken has protein. The level of protein content depends on the amount of ground chicken food per serving.
How Many Grams of Protein Are in 4oz Of Ground Chicken?
There are 25 grams of protein in 4oz of ground chicken. This serving size also has 120 calories, 2g of fat, and 0 g of dietary fiber.
How Much Protein Is in a Ground Chicken Patty?
There is 22g of protein in a ground chicken patty. Fresh ground chicken patty also serves 120g of calories, 9g of saturated fat, and 0 g of vitamin C.
How Many Calories Are In A Ground Chicken Burger?
There are 221 calories in a ground chicken burger. Other nutrition facts of one serving size burger contain 22.6g of protein, 64.3g of potassium mineral, and 0 g of dietary fiber.
What Is The Nutritional Value Of Ground Chicken?
The nutritional value of ground chicken includes 20g of proteins, 8g of fats, 0 g of net carbs, and 150 calories per serving.
Is Ground Chicken Breast Healthy?
Yes, ground chicken breast is healthy as it is the perfect source of proteins. It is also the perfect lean protein and fat alternative to ground beef or pork.