I’ve been on a carnivore diet for more than a decade. I’m a huge meat lover, and I eat beef at least a few times a week.
I talked with a nutritionist friend and checked studies done on beef to find out how much protein beef has. Today, I’ll explain beef’s protein content and how much ground beef you should eat.
- One serving size of cooked ground beef has about 24g of protein.
- Ground beef is rich in vitamins B and E, sodium, and the total fat count is 10g per serving size.
- Ground beef is rich in calories. Calorie needs are different from person to person, so you should consult a specialist if you want to check the total dietary intake and nutrition facts of your favorite foods.
How Much Protein Does 1 lb of Ground Beef Have?
One lb of ground beef has about 25% protein, which amounts to 77.88g of protein .
However, this changes if you opt for lean ground beef. Lean ground beef is also a good source of protein; you don't need much of it to get your protein. 5% lean beef has about 24 g of protein per dish. For example, 3 oz of lean beef is 22g of protein.
“The definition of ground beef is chopped fresh and/or frozen beef from primal cuts and trimmings. Trimmings are defined as the small pieces containing both lean and fat that come from a beef carcass as the carcass is cut or “fabricated” into beef primals, subprimals, or individual cuts. The maximum fat content in any ground beef is 30% (70% lean) by law.”
- Davey Griffin, Professor & Extension Meat Specialist
An average adult's recommended daily protein allowance is 0.8 per kg of body weight, or 0.36 g per pound . In other words, an average man should have 56g of protein per day, and a woman should have about 46g.
However, daily values of protein intake also depend on your calorie requirements.
How Many Calories are in 1 lb of Ground Beef?
There are 1506 calories in 1 lb of ground beef. However, beef that’s 80% lean has significantly fewer calories — 1152, and a fair amount of these calories is attributed to fat . Recommended calorie daily values are 2000 for women and 2500 for men, so beef has a high percent daily value of calories.
How Much Fat is in 1 lb of Ground Beef?
There is about 136g of fat in 1 lb of ground beef. However, if you have beef that’s 80% lean, it’ll have fewer fats — about 90.72g of fat.
Most of the calories in ground beef come from fat. 3 oz serving of beef that’s 85% lean has 13g of fat.
Out of these, 5g is saturated fat, which isn’t very healthy, and the American Heart Association recommends limiting the intake of total saturated fat from 5 percent to 6 percent daily values. This also includes fatty acids.
To put it into context, a quarter-pound hamburger has about 6.7g to 10g of saturated fat per serving size.
Trans fat also belongs to unhealthy fats. 1 lb of ground beef has about 8g of trans fat, while 80% lean has 5.88g of trans fat.
However, ground beef also has healthy fats, such as monounsaturated fat (6 grams) and polyunsaturated fat (0.4 grams).
Health Benefits of Ground Beef
Ground beef has several health benefits:
- Rich in vitamins — Here’s how much vitamin 80% lean ground beef has:
- Iron: 8.8
- Selenium: 18.1μg
- Zinc: 5.5g
- B6 Vitamin: 0.36mg
- Vitamin C: 0mg
- Vitamin E: 1.86mg
- Boosts the immune system — Ground beef has several vitamins, such as Vitamin C, E, A, and more. These vitamins help your body maintain a healthy immune system together with zinc.
- Boosts iron — Your body needs iron to make red blood cells, and ground beef is rich in heme iron . Eating heme iron helps avoid anemia and low iron health issues.
- Helps production of hormones — Selenium and B Vitamin help produce sex hormones and thyroid function .
- Builds cells — Protein helps build and maintain muscle tissue and builds bones, muscles, skin, and blood.
- Health Benefits of Grass-Fed Beef
- How Much Protein Is in Hamburger Meat?
- How Much Protein Does a Filet Mignon Contain?
How Much Protein Should I Eat a Day?
You should eat 50 to 175g of protein a day. This depends on your overall daily calorie breakdown.
What Are the Nutrition Facts of 80/20 Ground Beef?
Nutrition facts of 80/20 ground beef are 0g carbs, 24g fat, 20g protein, and about 290 calories .
What Is the Nutritional Information of 1LB Ground Beef?
Nutritional information for 1lb ground beef is:
- 1152 calories
- 0 sugar
- 0 dietary fiber
- 81.65mg calcium
- 71.11mg magnesium
- 1224.72mg potassium
- 303.91mg sodium
- 0 Vitamin C
- 322.06mg cholesterol
How Much Ground Beef Should You Eat?
I listed nutrition facts for lean and regular beef. Both of these are rich in vitamins, sodium, fiber, potassium, calcium, and more.
You should consult a nutritionist to calculate your calorie needs and how much total fat and protein you should consume. Each person’s needs are different, but you can consume between 50 to 175g of ground beef protein a day.
If you’re looking for healthy beef options, make sure to buy meat from reputable sources. I order mine from ButcherBox, whose high-quality meats are 100% grass-fed and grass-finished, without any added hormones and antibiotics.
Buying from reputable sources ensures that you get the most health benefits from the meat you cook so you know exactly what to expect when it comes to your daily intake of calories, proteins, and vitamins.