I’m a huge burger lover and always have some in the freezer ready to be grilled. I’ve been eating hamburgers all my life, but I've never thought about their protein content.
I consulted a friend nutritionist and checked what the online data says.
Here’s how much protein a hamburger has.
- Hamburger meat is rich in protein. The serving size of 3oz has 21g of protein.
- Hamburger meat is also very rich in saturated fats, which are unhealthy.
- There are several benefits to eating hamburger meat.
Protein in Hamburger Meat
Hamburger meat is usually ground beef, and ground beef is rich in protein. 3oz of cooked lean ground beef has 21g of protein .
You’ll get about 40g of protein if you have a double pattie burger. This is from meat alone.
Hamburgers also have buns. 1.5oz bun has about 4g of protein . Veggies have protein as well.
For example, one lettuce leaf, some onion, tomato, and a spoon of mayo only have 1g of protein combined.
Here’s how much protein different kinds of ground beef have .
- 95% lean: 24.19g
- 90% lean: 22.60g
- 85% lean: 21g
- 80% lean: 19.40g
- 75% lean: 17.81g
- 70% lean: 16.22g
Saturated Fat in Hamburger Meat
Unfortunately, this is the bad kind of fat. Saturated fat can lead to heart disease, increased cholesterol, and other cardiovascular diseases.
You should limit saturated fat intake to under 10% of total energy. Ideally, it should be 5% to 6% of daily calorie intake.
So, if you eat recommended 2,000 calories a day, you should eat less than 20g of saturated fat, ideally no more than 13g.
The good news is that not all fats in hamburger meat are unhealthy fats. 3oz serving size of 85% lean ground meat has 6g of monounsaturated fat and 0,4g of polyunsaturated fat.
“Hamburgers should be cooked to a safe minimum internal temperature to destroy harmful bacteria that may be present. Use a food thermometer to be sure they have reached a safe minimum internal temperature of 160 °F. If you’re cooking turkey burgers, they should be cooked to 165 °F.”
There are several ways in which you can lower the amount of saturated fat in your hamburger meat. If you prepare hamburger meat with vegetable oil, you can avoid having too much saturated fat.
Plus, you’ll have juicy meat. Generally, a good way to control how much saturated fat you intake is to go for leaner beef cuts. Also, cut down on mayo and cheese.
Hamburger Meat Health Benefits
Hamburger meat has several benefits, such as:
- Builds cells — Ground beef is full of proteins, which help the body build bones and muscles and improves skin and blood quality.
- Boosts the immune system — Ground beef contains vitamins, such as thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, and cobalamin. These vitamins can’t be stored in the body, but you have to consume them through food, and they help boost the immune system.
- Boosts iron — Our bodies need heme and non-heme iron for red blood cells. Heme iron is found in animal proteins and helps boost iron which staves off anemia.
- Increases hormones — Ground beef is rich in niacin and selenium, which boosts hormone production and helps thyroid function.
- How Much Protein Is in Deli Turkey?
- How Much Protein Is in Filet Mignon?
- How Much Protein Is in a Pound of Ground Beef?
How Much Protein Is in a 4 Oz Hamburger?
There is 17,81g of protein in a 4 oz hamburger.
What Kind of Meat Gives the Most Protein?
Turkey breast gives the most protein.
Protein in Hamburger: Final Thoughts
Hamburger meat is a great source of protein. However, it’s also a large source of saturated fats, which can cause several health issues, such as cardiovascular diseases.
You should go for lean ground beef, as it has fewer fats and it’s healthy. Also, be careful with the ingredients you put in your burger. Mayo and cheese are among the biggest sources of saturated fat, and they don’t have a lot of protein.
If you’re looking for high-quality, delicious burgers, look no further than ButcherBox - a meat delivery service that produces premium, antibiotic, and hormone-free meat products.
Their burgers are clean and robust in taste, with only 20% fat and a whopping 80% of meat. The best part is that the company will deliver the boxes straight to your door for free.