Luby's cheese steak is my all-time favorite go-to breakfast dish. As a homemade bacon cheese steak fan, this original recipe from Luby's cookbook never fails me as it is simple, incredibly tasty, and you can customize your own extra seasonings too.
Today, I’ll share a quick and easy-to-follow recipe so that you can make your own luby's cheese steak at home in under 30 minutes.
- Luby's cheese steak is a flavorful breakfast dish made with ground beef steak, white bread, beef broth, flour, eggs, kosher salt, black pepper, American white cheese, bacon, and green onions.
- The dish can be customized with different cheeses and toppings.
- Luby's cheese steak can be served with various side dishes like French fries or nachos.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Number of serving: 9
- 3 ½ lbs ground beef steak
- 2 ½ cups of white bread
- 1 ½ cups of beef broth
- ¾ cup of flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons of freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ½ oz shredded American white cheese
- 6 ½ oz cooked chopped bacon
- 2 ½ oz roughly sliced green onions
- Add chopped bacon, green onions, and shredded cheese to a shallow bowl. Mix it all up and set this cheese mixture aside. Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a second large mixing bowl, pour in the beef broth and flour and add the white bread. Handwork it until the bread has soaked in all the beef broth and is soft.
- Add salt, pepper, ground beef, and whisked eggs, to the same bowl. Blend with your hands until all ingredients are well combined and evenly distributed.
- Divide the ground meat mixture into 9 equal portions and mold each into a firm ball. Place chill mixture portions in a plastic wrap and use your hands to flatten them. Refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Heat up a large frying pan with olive oil. Cook your meat mixture (two or three steaks at a time) for about 3 minutes on medium-high heat until they're cooked crispy browned. Place steaks aside on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the browned steaks with a generous amount of the cheese mixture. Toss them in the oven for 3 to 4 minutes to melt the cheese topping.
- Serve with your favorite side dish.
- It would be best to prep the ground meat mixture and refrigerate it on a foil-lined baking sheet until ready to cook.
- Before adding to the cheese mixture, saute sliced green onions on a large skillet with a dash of garlic on medium-high heat until they're softened enough.
- The beef broth is an essential ingredient that keeps everything moist and juicy.
- If you don't have white American cheese, provolone and cheez whizz cheeses work the same magic.
- If you have diabetes, you can opt to use steel-cut oats ground in a food processor instead of white bread to keep those sugar numbers in check.
- Calories: 699
- Total Carbs: 225
- Protein: 40.3g
- Fat: 53.3g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Net Carbs: 216
4 Tips To Make The Perfect Luby's Cheese Steak
Here are four helpful tips to help you make the perfect homemade Luby's cheese steak.
1. Steak Matters
As a cheesesteak lover, most of my never-failing, savory cheese steaks begin with a ground ribeye steak. Top sirloin is another delicious but less expensive option if you're working with a tight budget.
The flavor of the cooked steaks accentuates when you start by refrigerating your steak for 30 to 60 minutes to allow for easier and more precise slicing and grounding.
Ensure you cook your meat on medium-high heat till it browns evenly on both sides, and use a foil-lined baking sheet in the oven.
Also Read: Sirloin vs Ribeye Steak
2. Right Bread
When it comes down to making the most delicious luby's cheese steak, the choice of bread matters a lot.
It would be best to use thick white bread that is fresh and warm.
But if you have diabetes, you might have to pass on the white bread because it's highly processed and made with extra sugar. Instead, you can replace that with whole-grain or 100% whole wheat bread .
The best three kinds of cheese topping for your steaks are American cheese, cheez whiz, or provolone.
The rich creaminess of hot melted cheese topping bundled up with garlicky sauteed onions and ground peppery cooked steaks is precisely what you need for a special breakfast.
Sliced green onions are typically the main topping on a traditional luby's cheesesteak. Other popular toppings for bacon cheese steak include mushrooms, hot peppers, and bell peppers.
You can make an extra "cheesesteak hoagie," which combines a cold hoagie and a hot cheesesteak as a topping for your Luby's cheese steak.
You could also go in with shredded lettuce, mayonnaise, and sliced tomatoes for extra veggies on your hoagie.
3 Best Cheese Steak Side Dishes
Devouring Luby's cheesesteak alone is not enough; here are the three best side dishes you should pair it with.
1. French Fries
The goodness of French fries as a side dish is a no-brainer.
French fries are a straight-up delicious classic pair with the luby's cheese steak.
You can go either with standard cut steak fries, curly fries, or the famous potato wedges.
If you like a little more creativity on your plate, try garlic fries, cheese fries, or savory sweet potato fries.
Nachos are not only a tasty side dish to pair with your Luby's cheesesteak, but you can also serve them as an appetizer.
What I love most about nachos is that you can use a variety of toppings on them to complement your homemade luby's cheese steak.
You can go easy on the side salad if your homemade ground beef Luby's cheese steak is loaded with veggies.
You can use simple ingredients like carrots, lettuce, tomatoes, green onions, and spinach.
For the salad dressing, I recommend going with something creamy with a touch of vinegar to complement and contrast nicely with the luby's cheese steak. This will blend all of the elements of the meal in perfect harmony for your enjoyment.
What Is the Best Steak for a Cheesesteak?
Ribeye is the best steak for a cheesesteak.
What Goes With the Steak and Cheese Sub?
Many side dishes go with steak and cheese sub, such as french fries, onion rings, and coleslaw.
What Sauce Is Good With Steak and Cheese?
Sauces good with steak and cheese include cheese sauce, tomato sauce, and Horseradish sauce.
How Much Meat Is in a Cheesesteak?
There's at least 4oz of meat in a cheesesteak. This may be more or less depending on different recipes and serving sizes.
Ultimate Luby's Cheese Steak Recipe
Get ready to experience the ultimate indulgence with the mouthwatering Luby's cheese steak. Every bite is an explosion of crazy deliciousness that will leave you craving for more.
To create the most authentic and delicious cheese steak, it all starts with the perfect ribeye ground steak. When seeking that well-marbled, tender meat cut that elevates your homemade bacon cheese steak, I highly recommend turning to ButcherBox for your steak needs.
ButcherBox offers a wide selection of premium meats, including the finest ribeye cuts, ensuring the quality and flavor that make a truly exceptional cheese steak.