Surf and turf is a classic flavor combination, and it's especially delicious in this burrito recipe. Tender steak and shrimp are wrapped up in a warm flour tortilla with rice, beans, and plenty of fresh salsa or pico de Gallo.
I have been creating this surf and turf burrito for friends and family for many years, and it is a perennial favorite. My best surf and turf burrito recipe is easy to follow and results in a delicious, hearty meal that's perfect for any occasion.
- The steak and shrimp burrito recipe combines surf and turf flavors in a hearty meal, with steak and shrimp wrapped in a tortilla alongside rice, beans, and salsa.
- The recipe involves marinating shrimp, preparing guacamole, cooking salsa verde, and searing steak, all of which are then layered in a tortilla with cheese and other fillings.
- The burrito can be customized for more spice by adding chili powder to the shrimp marinade or jalapeños to the guacamole.
- Prep Time: 25 min
- Cooking Time: 35 min
- Total Time: 60 min
- Number of Servings: 4
- 1 c rice
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2 chipotles, blended
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 lb shrimp
- Zest of 1-2 limes
- 1/4 c tequila
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
Also Read: How Long Will Shrimp Keep in the Fridge?
- 1 lb skirt steak
- 1/4 c white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp garlic powder
Read More: Carne Asada Meat
- 2 avocados
- 3 scallions, minced
- Juice from 1 lime
- Hot sauce to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 large onion
- 1-3 jalapeños
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 scallions
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 pounds tomatillos
- 1 lb shredded cheese
- Refried beans
- Shredded lettuce
- Salsa verde
- Sour cream
- Jalapeño peppers
- 4 giant tortillas
- Cook rice and stir in butter, chipotles, and tomato paste. Set aside.
- Peel and clean the shrimp. Mix with zest, tequila, powdered chili, and honey. Set aside to marinate for 15-20 minutes.
- Combine the guacamole avocados, scallions, lime juice, hot sauce, and salt in a bowl. Mash with a fork until avocados are at the desired consistency.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook the salsa verde tomatillos, onion, jalapeños, garlic, and scallions with canola oil. Remove from heat when the vegetables are soft and add in cilantro and lime juice.
- Place the salsa verde or pico de Gallo in a blender and blend on high until smooth. Pour in stock as needed to thin the mixture so that it runs freely through the tines of a fork. Salt and pepper to taste.
- For the carne asada, season the skirt steak with vinegar, cumin, and garlic powder.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet on high. Add a small amount of vegetable oil then sear the beef for 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove beef and allow to rest.
- Place shrimp in the skillet and add lime juice. Heat for 4-6 minutes until the shrimp lose their translucency, then remove.
- Heat a griddle to medium heat and place a tortilla on it. Put 1/4 of the cheese on the tortilla, then layer on beans, rice, beef, and shrimp. Cover with a bowl or lid to allow the cheese to melt.
- Remove the tortilla from the heat and add guacamole, salsa verde, sour cream, lettuce, and jalapeño pepper.
- Roll the surf and turf burrito by taking the two ends and folding them over the sour cream filling. Pull one side of the tortilla over the top of the filing, and then roll the surf and turf burrito in the opposite direction.
- The larger the tortilla, the easier it is to roll even with the sour cream. Thus, purchase the largest tortillas you can find and make big shrimp burritos.
- If you want more spice in this best surf and turf burrito recipe, add more chili powder to the shrimp marinade or add diced jalapeños to the guac.
- If you don't have chili powder, you can use a combination of paprika, smoked paprika, cumin, and garlic powder alongside the sour cream.
- The proteins can be cooked ahead of time and reheated when you're ready to assemble the shrimp burritos. The guacamole and salsa verde (or pico de Gallo) can also be made ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator.
- Calories: 400
- Total Carbs: 33g
- Protein: 24g
- Fat: 21g
- Fiber: 4g
- Net Carbs: 28g
"Eating a burrito is like eating a living, breathing organism - you can feel the burrito's ingredients sigh inside with each bite, each squeeze."
- Gustavo Arellano, Journalist
What To Serve With Burritos
These big surf and turf burritos are hearty and filling, with a ton of protein to keep you satisfied.
However, if you are looking for some side dish ideas, here are some good options:
- Crispy Nachos
- Cheese Quesadilla
- Mexican Rice
- Chopped Salad
- Fruit Salad
- Caesar Salad
- Black Bean Soup
- Crispy Tortilla Soup
- Chili Con Carne
- Roasted Vegetables
- Refried, Pinto, or Black Beans
- Black Bean and Corn Salad
- Tortilla Chips with Bean Dip or Salsa (pico de Gallo)
- Stuffed Jalapenos or Chili Rellenos
Where Do Burritos Come From?
Burritos originally came from Mexico, and the earliest versions consisted of a flour tortilla wrapped or rolled around whatever filling was available to the population .
What Is the Difference Between a Burrito and a Taco?
The difference between a burrito and a taco is that a burrito is made with a rolled tortilla while a taco is made with a folded tortilla. Burritos are also generally larger than tacos and have more of a "stuffed" feel to them .
How Long Can I Store Leftover Burritos?
You can store leftover burritos in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, microwave for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
Steak And Shrimp Burrito
Our steak and shrimp burrito is a delicious and easy recipe that is packed with protein and flavor. Serve with a side of rice and beans or your favorite Mexican sides.
Whether you like it mild or spicy, this surf and turf burrito is sure to please everyone in the family.
If you're searching for a convenient way to bring high-quality steak and seafood directly to your doorstep, consider exploring the ButcherBox meat delivery review. It provides valuable insights into a trusted source that can provide you with the finest cuts of meat, including options for steak and other delectable selections.