Even though you can use Weber grills all year round, not everyone wants to use them in the winter. If you don't prefer grilling in the cold and want your Weber grill to last for a long time, it is important to know how to store it properly.
I have tried many storing hacks and even left my Weber grill outside this winter to see what happens. In this article, I will share what worked for me with you.
- Weber grills are well-known for their solid first-class materials that make them highly durable
- Your propane tank should be stored outside. It can stay connected, but you need to turn it off at the tank
- Storing a wet grill is a bad idea
What Is a Weber Grill?
A Weber grill is a type of outdoor grill that uses charcoal or gas for fuel. The first Weber grill was made in 1952.
Weber grills are well-known for their solid first-class materials, such as stainless steel, cast iron, and porcelain-coated aluminum. These materials create a durable and resistant grilling surface.
How to Store a Weber Grill?
To store a Weber grill, you must first clean it. Then, you may either keep it inside or outside. However, if you want your Weber grill to last, it is crucial to know how to store your grill correctly.
How To Store a Weber Grill During Summer?
If you live in an area with a lot of humidity, it is important to take some extra steps when storing your Weber grill.
Here is what you need to keep in mind while storing a Weber grill during summer:
- Make sure you clean the grill grates after each use. To clean Weber gas grills/propane grills or electric grills, use a brush to clean the cooking grates, flavorizer bars, and burners. After each gas grilling, you scrape all the interior surfaces with a putty knife or a wire grill brush.
- Get rid of all the debris into the slide-out grease tray and the disposable drip pan. Be sure to empty the disposable drip tray and grease cup with warm soapy water.
- To clean your charcoal grill inside, brush the cooking and charcoal grates clean. Then use a putty knife to carefully scrape the interior surfaces of the charcoal grill after charcoal grilling. Make sure you push all of the loose debris into the ash catcher of the charcoal grill. Finally, empty the ash catcher.
As I live in an area with a lot of wildlife, I always remove grease and food residue with warm soapy water as much as possible because it attracts unwanted animals to my grill if left unattended.
- Do not store your Weber grill under direct sunlight. The heat from the sun can cause damage to the paint and materials, so always keep it covered. I suggest you invest in some good waterproof grill covers.
- If possible, store your Weber grill in a shaded area. Make sure you try to store the entire grill away from dirt and moisture, etc.
- Do not store your Weber grill near any chemicals or flammable objects. I suggest you always keep a fire extinguisher nearby just in case.
- Ensure that the area you are storing your grill is well-ventilated and away from deck rails or low-hanging tree branches. Fire danger from grilling is extremely high, especially during the summer months. Each year, grill fires result in nearly $27 million in property loss across the US .
How To Store a Weber Grill During Winter?
If your area suffers from cold weather, it is crucial to take some extra steps when storing your Weber grill outside during the winter.
Here is what you need to keep in mind while storing a Weber bbq grill during winter:
- Do not store your Weber grill in a garage or storage shed. The cold temperatures can damage the grill and cause mold. The temperature can be very appealing to mold, so you need to be careful.
- If you must store your Weber grill outside, make sure that it is in a covered area. If you do not have a decent cover area, I suggest you invest in a decent grill cover.
- Make sure that you never cover the grill if it is already wet. If you do, and the grill is wet, the grill cover has lost its waterproofing feature and might cause corrosion and oxidation. That is why it's crucial to keep your grill completely dry before storing and invest in a waterproof cover for your grill.
- Don’t bring your propane tank indoors, make sure you leave your propane tank outside. It is not necessary to bring your Weber grill inside for the winter, but doing so will not hurt it. If you have a grill that runs on propane, you may keep the propane tank connected but make sure it is shut off.
If you own a propane grill, you must know that it is never safe to store propane tanks indoors . You can always bring the grill indoors, but you must also ensure that your tank valve is shut.
"Never store them indoors or in an enclosed area such as a basement, a garage, a shed, or a tent. And never store a propane cylinder in a hot area, typically where temperatures exceed 120 degrees Fahrenheit."
- Gregg Walker , Propane Education & Research Council
Is It Ok to Leave Weber Grill Uncovered?
No, it is not OK to leave Weber Grill uncovered. The heat from the sun can cause damage to the paint and materials, so always keep it covered. I suggest you invest in some good waterproof grill covers.
What Happens If a Gas Grill Gets Wet?
If a gas grill gets wet, it can rust, and the paint can start to peel. It is important to ensure that your grill is covered when it is not in use.
How to Use Gas Grill after It Gets Wet or Is Left Outside for a Long Time in Rain?
If your gas grill gets wet or is left outside for a long time in the rain, it is important to dry it off as soon as possible. You can use a towel to dry it off or leave it out in the sun for a few hours.
Is It Ok to Leave a Gas Grill Outside in Winter?
No, it is not OK to leave a gas grill outside in winter. The cold temperatures can damage the grill and cause mold. The temperature can be very appealing to mold, so you need to be careful.
Is Leaving Your Weber Grill Outside a Good Idea?
It is not recommended to leave your Weber grill outside. The heat from the sun can cause damage to the paint and materials, so always keep it covered.
I suggest you invest in some good waterproof grill covers.
To help you make the right choice, we’ve compiled a list of the best grill covers on the market so make sure to check it out and protect your grill no matter the weather conditions.